First there was a missing plane, now it’s a plane shot down by demonic people consumed with hate. Absolutely heartbreaking, but if there is any light to this situation, it would be the fact that we know the truth for all 295 families, as opposed to the missing plane that has disappeared into the abyss.
Here’s what TIME knows about Malaysian Airlines MH17 and how it crashed:
- Malaysia Airlines tweeted that the flight’s last known position was over Ukrainian airspace.
- The flight crashed near the town of Torez in the Ukrainian region of Donetsk.
- The Boeing 777 was carrying 295 passengers and crew when it crashed. There have been no reports of survivors.
- Ukraine officials say that the plane may have been shot down by Russian-made weapons.
- A leader of the pro-separatist group in Ukraine told TIME that rebels did not shoot the plane down, although they have the capability.
- Both President Obama and Ukrainian President Poroshenko have called for investigations of the crash.
More on the story as it develops.